Wednesday, February 15, 2006

An Invented Memoir?


An Invented Memoir?
I have never read any other Allende books as I am not a great fan of ficton. But there were many moments I actually smiled while reading this book, which is saying a lot about this writer's sense of humour. She really is a very funny lady, even in translation... she makes me think of some of my own weird relatives...however I am not sure sitting up all night with a baby monitor in the corn patch to catch potato thieves is all that funny (that's my crazy Uncle). To top it off he always falls asleep. Imagine the feedback hiss. All that crackling and popping of the wind...

Chile figures well in this book, as the author is native Chilean, and I hope they also have good senses of humour. The way she writes, they are all insane, or insanely funny people. I guess it would depend on whether you thought most of what this writer puts on paper is fact or fiction. It is anyone's guess.

As entertainment, as in, you want a good laugh and some brilliant insights into human nature than just read this book. It fits well in the hand, is bound artisically, and has thoughtful page keepers.

But much of this memoir appears imagined, and if not imagined than not exactly non-fiction either. It probably makes a lot more sense in reference to her full bodies of works.

Yet, it was very entertaining.

2 comments:

ravptor said...

Hmm... Something that I always wanted to do. Reading an Invented Memoir. Most of the times I had a feeling of them being too snobbish to work on something like that.

Also Sir, not to intrude, but your template has been tampered with and needs some editing to make it more easy to access.

As always, its a pleasure to follow your blog!

Daniel Costello said...

Hark! It is not deleted!