Thursday, January 13, 2011

You get out what you put in to BE teaching.


I'd like to learn more about the Herzberg Hygiene factors as they are completely unfamiliar to me. My studies have focused extensively on strategic management and competitive business analysis using Porter's 5 forces among other frameworks. I also completed a course in cross cultural management for my MIB and have actually read much of Trompenaars and have several of his books on my shelf. However I find Edward T. Hall to be much more accessible to general reading along the same topic although an earlier era of research which was more tentative.

When I was in Abu Dhabi my job was extremely boring. I would sit and attend work six months of the year lolling in my office most of each half day perhaps with 1.5 hours of classes a week where one of twenty students were awake (never the same one). I learned to write all of the workbook answers on the boards just to stay awake. Sure I saved money and I could travel but I was wasting my enjoyment of work (an important hygiene factor).

So down the road in Dubai I went to an annual educational fair. Dr. Stephanie Jones recommended my graduate program at UOWD saying, "You'll be able to do anything you want with this." It is true. It's funny because when I was finished I did have diverse offers to enter active business management around the world but I didn't take any of them. I was convinced I would make a good teacher of this topic somewhere and honestly I missed Korea. I have to say I could not have my current job if I did not complete an MIB. But it did take a good two to three years actively searching to find it by accident. I think there's no way to "fake" business knowledge and no way to really substitute it. Of course real business people might say there is no way to substitute business work experience. However I think somewhere along the line when you have actually read more than enough it just starts coming out of your ears and you are suddenly useful to everybody.

No comments: